Everyone can take steps to make the way they live carbon neutral, from reducing personal greenhouse gas emissions, to counteracting the impact of any remaining emissions through carbon credits. Follow Ecometrica’s step by step guide to live a more carbon neutral lifestyle:
1. Evaluate your personal carbon footprint, including transportation, energy use, food, and waste.
2. Reduce your energy use by making changes such as using public transportation, carpooling, biking or walking where possible, switching to LED lighting options, and upgrading appliances to more energy-efficient models.
3. Reduce food waste and choose a diet that has a lower carbon footprint, such as reducing meat consumption or choosing locally-sourced and seasonal products.
4. Reduce waste and increase recycling to minimise emissions from waste disposal.
5. Counteract any remaining emissions by purchasing carbon credits or supporting renewable energy projects that remove carbon from the atmosphere.
6. Regularly monitor and review your personal progress, setting new goals, and making further improvements over time.
Becoming carbon neutral is a personal responsibility for everyone, and is an important step in addressing climate change. Making changes to be more carbon neutral can have a number of positive impacts, not only on the environment, but also on your finances, and your personal health and well-being.